Political upheaval, world wars, inflation, economic crises, dislocations on the stock markets and constant global competition – M.M.Warburg & CO is strong and sound thanks to its more than 200 years of experience.
1798 Founding of M.M.Warburg & Co.
1867 Move to Ferdinandstr. 75
1898 100-year anniversary: The company has grown from a bank focused on the bill of exchange business to a renowned private bank with 53 employees.
1905 Inclusion in the imperial investment consortium
1917 Carl Melchior becomes the first bank partner who is not a member of the Warburg family.
1938 Conversion into a limited partnership with partners Dr. Rudolf Brinckmann and Paul Wirtz. Seizure of silent participation held by the Warburg family at the outbreak of war
1941 Name change to Brinckmann, Wirtz & Co.
1969 Name change to M.M.Warburg-Brinckmann, Wirtz & Co.
1973 Founding of M.M.Warburg-Brinckmann, Wirtz International in Luxembourg; known as M.M.Warburg & CO Luxemburg S.A. since 1991
1982 Max Warburg (son of Eric Warburg) joins the bank as a partner.
1986 Dr. Christian Olearius joins the bank as a partner and becomes spokesman for the personally liable partners. The bank is strategically realigned.
1987 Founding of Warburg Invest Kapitalanlagegesellschaft mbH in Frankfurt am Main
1989 Founding of M.M.Warburg-LuxInvest S.A.
1991 The bank assumes its original name, M.M.Warburg & CO
1994 Change of legal form to a partnership limited by shares (KGaA)
1995 Founding of M.M.Warburg & CO Hypothekenbank
1996 Founding of M.M.Warburg Bank (Schweiz)
1997 Acquisition of Bankhaus Hallbaum, Hanover
1998 Acquisition of Marcard, Stein & Co, Hamburg
1999 Acquisition of 51% of Carl F. Plump & Co., Bremen
2001 Founding of Warburg - Henderson Kapitalanlagegesellschaft für Immobilien mbH with Henderson Global Investors
2003 Acquisition of Bankhaus Löbbecke
2007 Opening of Warburg Bank representative office in Berlin
2009 Acquisition of a stake in Schwäbische Bank; Joachim Olearius and Dr. Henneke Lütgerath join as partners
2010 Eckhard Fiene joins the bank as a partner
2010 Acquisition of the remaining 49% of Carl F. Plump & Co., Bremen
2011 Dr. Peter Rentrop-Schmid joins the bank as a partner
2014 Dr. Christian Olearius (chairman) and Max Warburg (deputy chairman) move to the supervisory board, Joachim Olearius becomes spokesman for the partners
2015 Acquisition of the remaining shares of Schwäbische Bank, Stuttgart
For detailed history of our bank, please visit the website of the Warburg Group.